After Hours Doctor sees approximately 24,000 patients after hours in Hobart per year. This makes a unique impact on local ED demand and provides valuable access for patients, relief for Emergency Department staff and support for local GP’s.
In order to service need and not drive demand After Hours Doctor
- Encourages emergency/unscheduled attendances only.
- Works on behalf of and by arrangement with the great majority of the GPs in Hobart.
- Reports back to the principal GP in every case.
- Is fully accredited by AGPAL.
- Maintains all night access to home visiting for patients conditional upon careful and systematic triage.
Why has After Hours Doctor survived?
- It delivers enough services to meet its costs and make an adequate return for doctors.
- It has a small dedicated workforce, committed to providing after hours care only. This moderates payment expectations since for these doctors after hours is normal hours.
- It has a well-located, well-equipped and well-known clinic to maximise patient access.
- It is GP focussed and supported by the great majority of Hobart GPs who refer their patients for after hours care, i.e. it provides a community benefit.